Monday, January 15, 2007

STOMP THE YARD

I wanted to write small shout out to the new Screen Gems release STOMP THE YARD, which I had the pleasure of partaking in this gorgeous January day. I say shout out, because my readers know I try to shy away from both the practice of and the word; review... I hate to give spoilers, and will try not to divulge too much of the film... So, that being said:

STOMP THE YARD

This is a little hyped film in main stream press, but I was thrilled that it graced the screen in sleepy Spanish Fork. Perhaps the new management of Red Carpet Cinema's can read the writing on the wall (not graffiti), and is seeking a more diversified play bill, in light of the changing face of Zion. What ever the reason, Spanish Fork 8, gets an A in race relations...

This movie has some familiar faces, and even features R&B new comer Ne-Yo in a supporting roll. I want to direct my praise though, not so much to name recognition, and instead focus upon the white hot leads played by Meagan Good, and Columbus Short. Short is a featured cast member of the now defunct NBC show, Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip. he was unrecognizable with out the geeky glasses his character Darius sported, but I knew I knew his work from somewhere... I would have loved to see what Sorkin did with his character, had Studio 60 been given some breathing room... as it is, it appears he will have a huge future on the big screen, as he was fantastic in this roll. Perhaps this is a stretch, but as I write this I can't help but think of Johnny Depp, who was able to overcome the "Pretty Boy" stigma, and break into serious acting gigs... Short too, must fight this stereotype, as he is beautiful. But he gives a better then a powerhouse performance, in a film that could easily limit a lessor actor. His on screen metamorphosis, was subtle, and he acted this thing too the rafters. His female lead, Meagan Good also was impressive, with out ever going over the top. I believed her, and that is the goal of any good actor. Though I have not seen her before, I am sure I will in the future. This film, set on the campus of Truth University, blasted the possibility of stereotypical "black" portrails, by being for the most part an original film. Never seeking to describe the differences in cultures, rather focusing on the strong and righteous Black Leaders who paved the way for all of us.

Now, Stomp The Yard could be given a cursory once over and easily compared (and subsequently dismissed)to other collegiate, competition films, but director Sylvain White, and director of photography Scott Kevan work together to give Stomp The Yard a completely original look. The color composition, was tremendous, and brought a life to the celluloid seldom seen before, if ever. That would perhaps be enough, but the Directorial team pioneered a new style of filming here. This is reason enough to see the movie. The use of hand held shots and montage memory footage have been done before, but not like this... However, it's the dance/step sequences that were the most amazing of all... Choreography aside, I have never seen this technique used in filming before... It almost defies definition, but as a writer I must try to encapsulate it for you... though I know I can not describe what you must let your senses be a a part of... The opening dance battle, looked as if it had been shot in time elapse mode, then slowed down to be in real time... I know that makes no sense... but it was truly a unique camera effect, and I am very curious how they got it...

I think this was a tremendous film, and a few flaws aside, will stand as a landmark movie, for reasons mentioned above... no doubt people will be seeking to carbon copy this style, but Stomp The Yard will always be an original.

Another thing that set STY apart was the down play of hip hop music. Usually so prevalent in "this type" of movie, music was not used to manipulate emotions from the audience. The actors drew plenty of emotion out for me, with out the help of a borderline cheesy urban soundtrack... the score was just right... the dance music sometimes non existent, as the steppers handled most of their own cadence...

I hate to ad one negative note to this post, but I must be honest. The tutor sequence, reminded me ever so slightly of Omar Epps and Hale Berry in the Program. This thought quickly faded, as #1, Columbus Short and Meagan Good are dynamite actors, and #2, though the scene (and for that matter the movie) was slightly similar to the 90's film, the plot and character back stories were different enough to move through with out too much comparison... (obviously enough to write about it here... sorry guys...but I do so with love!)

So Sisters and Brothers, in my final analysis, this is a very enjoyable movie. The names to watch for from this point forward are Sylvain White & Scott Kevan. Columbus Short & Meagan Good.

La Vie Boheme

No comments: